Book Donation Guidelines
Our sales are only as good as the donations we receive. We can only sell books that are in good condition. Books that are damp, moldy or smelly, have torn covers, missing pages, or have been nibbled on by the family pet cannot be sold. Please recycle these books yourself. Remember that when you donate something we can’t sell, we have to dispose of it, and that costs money. Paying garbage or recycling fees for unsellable donations takes money away from our effort to support the Annville Free Library.
We sort and store our books at an off-site location. Small numbers of books may be dropped off at the library desk, but larger donations, i.e. more than 3 boxes of books, require special delivery arrangements. Please call the library at: 717-867-1802 to set up a time to drop off your books. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. We accept donations on a year round basis except during the month of April when we are preparing for our sale.
We gladly accept:
- items which are in good condition, clean, dry, mold-free
- encyclopedias published before 1920
- commercially produced DVDS and cds
We do not accept:
- items which are unhealthy to handle or are dirty, moldy, burnt, chewed, or wet
- magazines, including National Geographic
- encyclopedias published after 1920
- encyclopedia year books
- homemade DVDs, cds, or cassette tapes
- law case, statute, and regulation books
- readers digest condensed books
- theses or dissertations
- text books
- AAA travel guides
- computer software and manuals
Since we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, you may be able to deduct the value of your donation on your income taxes if you itemize deductions. If you want a receipt for income tax purposes, please let us know when you drop off your books. We will then provide you with a signed receipt that you may use when filing your income taxes.